This recipe is a great way to use up an overabundance of strawberries and is so delicious.
500g ripe, sweet strawberries, hulled and quartered
100g caster sugar
300 ml fresh cream
juice of 1 lemon, plus more if needed
- Put the strawberries and half the sugar in a bowl, cover and let the fruit macerate for 4 hours.
- Put the macerated strawberries, with the cream, the lemon juice and the rest of the sugar, in a blender and blend until smooth. Taste and add a little more lemon juice, if needed.
- Churn the mixture in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions until set. Transfer it to a freezer-proof container and freeze until needed.
- If you don’t have an ice cream maker, transfer the ice cream mixture to a freezer safe container and freeze for 2 hours, until it starts to set around the edges.
- Take it out of the freezer and mix it either by beating it with an electric whisk or by whisking by hand. Put the ice cream back in the freezer, then repeat the process three more times (the whole process will take about 4 hours and you will have to do this every hour to remove the crystals), after which it should be perfectly smooth and you can use it. just put it back in the freezer and leave it there until you are ready to use it.
- Take the ice cream out of the freezer to soften about 10 minutes before serving.