May’s Google Play system updates for Android phones add Nearby Share car-sharing, a redesign to the Google Help app, and more.
Every month, Google releases the latest updates to what it calls the “Google System” for Android. These include everything related to Google Play Services, the Play Store, and Android’s “Google Play System Updates”. As these three fundamental aspects of your phone are intertwined, Google offers patch notes for them in one convenient place, often updating and adding new notes during each month.
The easiest way to check if you need to update Google Play Services on your phone is to follow a direct link to the app’s Play Store listing and update it from there, if available. To update the Play Store, tap your avatar in the corner, then tap “Settings.” In the “About” section, you will see an option to “Update the Play Store”. Meanwhile, Google Play system updates can be found through the Settings app under About phone > Android version > Google Play system update.
The main feature of the Google Play May 2022 updates is the introduction of Car-Sharing in Nearby Sharing. If you haven’t had a chance to use Nearby Share on your Android phone, it offers a similar experience to AirDrop on Apple devices and is also compatible with Chromebooks and Windows PCs. With automatic sharing, it will become easier to send files, links and text from one of your own devices to another, without the need to accept incoming sharing on the receiving device.
Meanwhile, another standout feature is a redesign of the Google Help app. Since last year, Google has been steadily redesigning its various apps and applets to use Material You, their latest design language, which premiered on the Pixel 6. A similar redesign may be coming to Google Help. , support and knowledge base of the company. center.
Each month’s update also includes its own variety of security improvements. Otherwise, many of the patch notes are the same as last month, including mentions of improvements to Play Pass and Play Points.
To get these features, improvements, and more on your own device, you need to have Google Play Services version 22.15 and Play Store version 30.3, both of which should have started rolling out from May 2. So far, a date has not been announced for Android’s Google Play system update in May.
Google Play system updates for May 2022
- [Auto, Phone, Tablet, TV, Wear OS] Bug fixes for account management and services related to system management and diagnostics.
- [Phone, Tablet] Migrating the existing device setup onboarding flow for supervised business accounts to a web-based experience.
- [Auto, Phone, TV] Nearby Sharing now allows users to share content more seamlessly between their devices connected to the same account.
Google Play Store
- Improvements to Play-as-you-download functionality to allow gamers to start playing mobile games while the app download continues to reduce wait times.
- New features to help you discover the apps and games you love.
- Optimizations allowing faster and more reliable download and installation.
- New features of the Play Pass and Play Points programs.
- Google Play billing improvements.
- Ongoing improvements to Play Protect to protect your device.
- Various performance optimizations, bug fixes, and security, stability, and accessibility improvements.
- [Auto, Phone, Tablet, TV, Wear OS] Design improvements to the Google Help app.
- Updates to system management services that improve stability and performance.
- New developer features for Google and third-party app developers to support ads, location services, and utility-related developer services in their apps.
FTC: We use revenue-generating automatic affiliate links. After.
Check out 9to5Google on YouTube for more info: